IBM ODM on Cloud is a complete web solution for developing and deploying business rule software for applications. IBM ODM on Cloud includes a comprehensive component for deployment of decision services in Business Console. Deployment configuration can be configured by the rule developer and release manager in ODM on Cloud. But a rule developer cannot configure the deployment configuration in Decision Center Business Console; only a release manager has the ability to do the configuration setup for the deployment of decision services.
The examples below give the brief idea on how a release manager can set up the deployment configuration in Decision Center Business Console in both production and non-production environments. You can follow the same steps to create the configuration setup for the deployment of decision services.
Steps for setting up the deployment configuration in Decision Center Business Console in a non-production environment:
1. Sign into the ODM on Cloud environment. The Cloud environment of Decision Management appears in the list of environments.
2. Select the Launch button in the Decision Center Business Console. Then select the decision service under “Library,” which is needed to create the deployment configuration.
In this example, I am selecting the marked decision service.
3. Select the “main” option under Branches and select “Deployments,” as shown below.
In “Configurations,” click + to add the deployment configuration of the decision service.
4. In the “General” tab, fill in Configuration name, RuleApp name, and Configuration type, as shown below.
Here you will select “Nonproduction” as the Configuration type because you are deploying the decision service in either the Test or Development Application servers.
5. In the “Operations” tab, select the respective decision operation of the decision service, as shown below.
6. In the “Targets” tab, select the respective application server, as shown below.
Select the Test or Development Application server depending on which one you selected as the nonproduction configuration type.
Test Environment: Use this server to execute decision services during the non-functional and integration testing phases.
Development Environment: Use this server to execute decision services during the development phase.
7. In the “Ruleset Properties” tab, set the ruleset version policy as “Increment minor ruleset version numbers.”
8. Click Save.
Steps for setting up the deployment configuration in Decision Center Business Console in a production environment:
1. Repeat Steps 1 to 3 from of the setup of the deployment configuration in Decision Center Business Console in a non-production environment.
2. In Deployments > Configurations > General, set the Configuration type as Production.
3. Select the appropriate decision operation in the “Operations” tab of the decision service.
4. In the “Targets” tab, select the production application server.
Production Environment: Use this server to execute decision services in production conditions.
5. Select the appropriate ruleset version policy in the “Ruleset Properties” tab. Click Save.
Once the steps above have been completed, deployment configurations are set for both the production and non-production environments.
You can deploy these decision services in Rule Execution Server as Ruleapps by clicking the Deploy button, which is highlighted in the screenshot above.
Govind Pattambhi Gudivada
Associate Software Engineer
Govind Pattambhi Gudivada specializes in IID, ODM, and Java. With one and half years of experience in the IT industry, he has implemented several decision services using IBM Operational Decision Management on Cloud.